Beer goes with Super Bowl Sunday like champagne goes with New Years Eve. And these days, there’s such an incredible variety of craft beer to choose from. Microbreweries are showing up everywhere, from menus at top restaurants to bars at high-end wedding receptions. In fact, there’s a new breed of Beer Sommeliers who are changing the way beer and food are paired together.
Below, the American Brewer’s Association created a Beer and Food Pairing Chart which details how to match flavors. Click on it to see a larger version. You might even want to print this out and take it with you to the beer store.
1. Brooklyn Local #1 – I loved this suggestion because it’s New York based. Go Giants!!!
2. La Fin Du Monde – Be warned. 9% alcohol.
3. Blue Moon – can be found in most supermarkets, and has a variety of beers according to season. They even sell variety packs.
4. Delerium Tremens – another one with 9% alcohol. Gotta love the pink elephant on the label. Delirium tremens is also the name of a severe form of alcohol withdrawal that involves sudden and severe mental or nervous system changes. Oy!
5. Guinness – a classic. Don’t be afraid of the dark.
So this Super Bowl, consider a Craft Beer tasting to go with your wings, chilli and chips with dip. The variety of flavors, colors and aromas are sure to get your guests talking, and it will provide an activity for those of us who just watch the commercials.