Every year, in honor of Martin Luther King Jr, I post one of his brilliant and enduring quotes on Facebook. In reading through them, I’m always awestruck by the fact that his quotes still ring true. That’s partly because equal rights is still an issue, but also because his quotes are reflections about human nature and finding the best in ourselves.
Below, my 10 favorite quotes by MLK. May they inspire you too.
1. “Never, never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.”
2. “If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, ‘Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.”
3.“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
4. “Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.”
5. “There comes a time when silence is betrayal.”
6. “Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.”
7. “Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.”
8. “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
9. “Faith is taking the first step, even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
10. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”